Nondiscrimination Notice

The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System doesn’t exclude, deny benefits to, or otherwise discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, sex, or age in admission to, participation in, or receipt of the services and benefits under any of its programs and activities, whether carried out by AHCCCS directly or through a contractor or any other entity with which AHCCCS arranges to carry out its programs and activities.

AHCCCS is committed to delivering health care services and determining eligibility without discriminating on any basis protected by law. For instance, households with different immigration statuses may apply for benefits on behalf of U.S. Citizen children and other family members.

If you believe you’ve been subjected to discrimination in an AHCCCS program or activity, you can file a complaint with the AHCCCS Administration or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights.

How to file a complaint with AHCCCS

You can submit a written complaint to AHCCCS anytime within 180 days of the date you believe you were discriminated against by AHCCCS staff or any AHCCCS contractor. Please provide as much detail as you can in your written complaint about what happen, when it happened, who was involved, and how we can resolve your complaint. You can send that complaint to:

  • Office of the General Counsel
    Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
    Attn.: General Counsel
    Mail Drop 6200
    801 E Jefferson Street, PO Box 25520
    Phoenix, Arizona 85034

    Or email it to:

Once we receive your complaint, it will be given to an attorney who will conduct an informal investigation that will give everyone involved an opportunity to submit evidence. The attorney will provide you with a written response within 30 days (unless you agree to allow more time for the investigation). If you do not agree with the decision of the attorney, you can request a review by the General Counsel for AHCCCS. For more detail, you can review AHCCCS Administrative Policy 117 on Discrimination Complaints here:

Administrative Policy 117

How to file a complaint with the US DHHS Office for Civil Rights

There are 3 ways to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights:

  1. Online at
  2. By phone: Call 1-800-368-1019. TDD users should call 1-800-537-7697.
  3. Writing: Send information about your complaint to:

Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
200 Independence Avenue, SW
Room 509F, HHH Building
Washington, D.C. 20201